This article is in continuation of the article posted earlier on July 21st which focused on Job Instruction.
Now lets learn more about Job Methods:
A practical plan to help you produce greater quantities of quality products in less time by making the best use of the Manpower, Machines & Materials now available
Step 1 – BREAK DOWN THE JOB
- List all details of the job exactly as done in the Current Method.
- Be sure details include everything;
- Material Handling
- Machine Work
- Hand Work
Step 2 – QUESTION EVERY DETAIL
1. Use these types of questions;
- Why is it necessary?
- What is the Purpose?
- Where should it be done?
- When should it be done?
- Who is the best qualified to do it?
- How is the ‘best way’ to do it?
2. Question the following at the same time:
Materials, Machines, Equipment, Tools, Product Design, Workplace Layout, Movement, Safety, Housekeeping
Step 3 – DEVELOP THE NEW METHOD
- ELIMINATE unnecessary details
- COMBINE details when practical
- REARRANGE details for the better sequence
- SIMPLIFY all necessary details
To make job easier & safer to do;
- Put materials, tools & equipment in to the best position & within convenient reach for the operator
- Use gravity feed hoppers or drop delivery chutes whenever possible
- Make effective use of both hands
- Use jigs or fixtures instead of hands
5. Work out your ideas WITH OTHERS
6. WRITE UP the proposed new method
Step 4 – APPLY THE NEW METHOD
- SELL your proposal to the boss
- SELL the new method to the operators
- Get FINAL APPROVAL of all concerned on Safety, Quality, Quantity, Cost, etc.
- PUT the new method TO WORK. Use it until a better way is developed.
- Give CREDIT where credit is due.
Acknowledgement: Courtesy: TWI