The Healthcare industry is facing mounting challenges
- increasing demand on services,
- increasing cost of materials,
- staff shortages,
- increased stress on staff,
- the potential for mistakes has increased as procedures have become ever more complex
- increased dissatisfaction from patients because of long waiting times and poor perceptions of the care received
- financial restraints from government.
Benefits of Implementing Kaizen/Lean in Healthcare
– Improved quality of healthcare delivery and safety
- Improved housekeeping / hygiene
- Fewer mistakes, accidents and errors resulting in better patient care.
– Improved delivery and/or throughput
- Due to Lean employees flow or pull system of information and materials, each patient is worked with, one unit at a time and passed on for the next step of the process without any delay. All blockages and obstacles to flow are identified and removed in lean, hence, the number of patients attended to will increase while working with same equipment in the same facilities by just working on the processes. Work will be done faster.
- Improved FLOW of treatment to patients – in time, in full, error free!
– Accelerating momentum
- Creating a stable working environment with a clear vision, standardized procedures that create the foundation for continuous improvement to attain world class performance.
- Standardizing processes and improving flow to make sure emergency patients are treated with the right protocols without major delays.
- The entire healthcare workforce becomes motivated and understands that, when they are at work, they are actuallyidentifying, creating and delivering value for their patients and nothing else and feels to be part of the success.
- Reducing waiting time for patients; patient check in & check out time & admin efforts to do so.
– Improvements in store/ pharmacy
- Ensuring pharmacies have optimum level of stocks that medications are never stocked out at the point of use & to avoid losses due to expiry of drugs etc
- Error proofing processes to help prevent medication errors
- Better laboratories layout and processes to give test results to physicians and patients in dramatically faster times
— measured in minutes instead of hours.